Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ruby on Rails - Up and Running Book Review

Recently, I've been interested in learning Ruby on Rails, but at the beginning of my quest I wasn't sure where to begin, there are a lot of documentation in the Web that I could use but I wanted some structured tutorial that guide me through my first experiences with Rails.

Fortunately, the company where I work bought the book Ruby on Rails Up and Running by Bruce A. Tate and Curt Hibbs, so I took it and started reading it and what I found was exactly what I was looking for, a beginners book.

I give this book 4 starts because I think it's really good for someone who is just starting to learn about Rails. It explains the basics of the language and the authors use the same example along each chapter so you can learn all the concepts in the book in a very practical way. The example is a Photo Slideshow application, a very common example actually because it allows you to develop some business logic along with interesting views handled by Ajax and some Javascript effects.

With this book, you can learn the basics of Active Record and Active Record Relationships, Scaffolding, Views, Migrations, Ajax and a bit of Testing.

It is not too long, so you won't feel intimidated by it. It is a good place to start, trust me!

I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment